Terms of Service: Interpreting
- The client (that’s you!) only engages the services of Red Tape Translation for translation and/or interpreting once payment has been transacted.
- The translation and/or interpreting services may be provided by Kathleen Parker or by another translator and/or interpreter instructed by her.
- Different types of appointments attract different hourly rates. In most cases, there is a minimum callout fee of one hour. If you are going to a notary office, please see point 13. Appointment types that involve complex terminology, require advance preparation or require a court-sworn interpreter will attract a higher hourly rate.
- The client and Red Tape Translation must agree upon a proposed date and time for the appointment in advance.
- Red Tape Translation will travel to any address within the Berlin AB Metro area, within the Frankfurt am Main city zone, and within the Münich Inner District. Extra fees may apply for appointments held outside of this area.
- If the appointment takes longer than the duration mentioned in your quote, Red Tape Translation calculates additional time in blocks of 15 or 30 minutes and charges it at the same hourly rate.
- The client is made aware that Red Tape Translation only offers translating/interpreting services. Red Tape Translation does not offer legal, tax or insurance advice. Red Tape Translation therefore accepts no liability for the outcome of the client appointments with German authorities or for the further progress (or lack thereof) of the client’s case.
- If necessary, the client should seek his or her own legal advice.
- The client must pay the minimum callout fee prior to the appointment.
- Payments made to Red Tape Translation are non-refundable, except if Red Tape Translation is unable to attend and no suitable alternative appointment can be found.
- Cancellation conditions vary according to the type of appointment. For general appointment types (not appointments at notaries), the following applies: if the client cannot attend an appointment or reschedules the appointment, the client has to inform Red Tape Translation at least 1 full working day before the scheduled time of the appointment. The client can then use the pre-booked payment for another appointment. If the client fails to inform Red Tape Translation at least 1 full working day before the scheduled appointment, the payment will be forfeited. Working days are Monday – Friday. This means appointments scheduled for Mondays must be cancelled or rescheduled during the day on the Friday prior, or the fee will be forfeited. Appointments at notary offices have different cancellation conditions: see point 13.
- Some German authorities may request a power of attorney which authorises the interpreter/translator to be present while a case being discussed. In this case, Red Tape Translation will provide the client with a suitable power of attorney. If the client does not sign it, the case worker may refuse to allow the interpreter/translator to attend. In this case, the minimum callout payment won’t be refunded to the client.
- The following only applies to appointments at notary offices: Contract read-through appointments at a notary’s office require a large amount of intensive advance preparation. Interpreters don’t just show up on the day and wing it, they have to prepare thoroughly first in advance of your appointment. Interpreters are often booked many weeks in advance. A short-notice change of date or cancellation usually means a complete loss of work for that day. For these reasons, notary appointments have stricter conditions for cancellation or postponement than appointments for everyday matters:
50% of the fee quoted is be paid in advance and is a non-refundable deposit.
Any remaining fees are to be paid after the appointment is complete.
If you have to change the date:
- At least three working days in advance of the original appointment: A change of date fee of 50 EUR applies. There is no further cost to reschedule.
- Fewer than three working days before the original appointment: You pay the entire cost of the original package for the new appointment date (365 EUR) plus 250 EUR to cover loss of work on the day of the original appointment.
- More than 3 working days before the original appointment: Red Tape Translation will stop preparing your documents and retain your deposit.
- Fewer than 3 working days before the original appointment: Red Tape Translation will stop preparing your documents and retain your deposit. The remaining 50% is also due.
- Should the appointment run longer than the quoted amount of time, additional time will be charged per additional 30-minute block at the hourly rate communicated to you in the quote we sent you. This amount will be invoiced once the appointment has finished.
Terms and Conditions: Life Admin
- 1. The client (that’s you!) engages the services of Kathleen Parker for telephone interpreting and/or translation help by Skype or phone.
2. The Life Admin service may be provided by Kathleen Parker or by another interpreter or translator instructed by her.
3. Life Admin is suitable for general communication by phone, email or post in German and/or English. For matters that are legal or highly technical in nature, or that involve a legal dispute, Kathleen recommends consulting a lawyer, or a specialised, court-sworn interpreter.
4. The fee for Life Admin is 49 EUR per hour, with a minimum purchase of one hour, paid in advance. ALGI/II recipients and registered students can use Life Admin for 35 EUR per hour.
5. A minimum of 15 minutes will be used for each Life Admin task. If a client’s balance falls below 15 minutes, we will send a payment link to buy another hour before the service can be used again.
6. The fee is non-refundable. However, if clients have more than 15 minutes of time left over, they can allocate this Euro value to other Red Tape Translation services.
7. Life Admin services are performed at a convenient time for the Life Admin assistant. If the client requires the work to be performed by a specific deadline, this will be agreed upon in advance.
8. Kathleen will do her best to accommodate urgent requests but cannot guarantee round the clock or immediate availability to make phone calls or perform admin services. Tasks generally get done within business hours.
9. If, in the case of three-way phone calls, a client cannot be reached at the agreed time for making phone calls, Kathleen will keep herself available by phone or Skype for 15 minutes. If the client does not make contact within 15 minutes, Kathleen will deduct 15 minutes of time from the client’s prepaid hour. The client can then contact her to reschedule an appointment to use any remaining time.
10. Kathleen Parker only offers translating/interpreting services. Kathleen Parker does not offer legal advice or any other sort of advisory services under Telephone Time. Kathleen Parker therefore accepts no liability for the outcome of client phone calls.
11. Some German authorities or organisations (for example, the Agentur für Arbeit or banks) may ask identity questions while on a call. They may also request a verbal power of attorney statement from the client, authorising the interpreter to participate in the conversation. If the client does not give verbal consent, the third party may refuse to continue with the call while the interpreter is on the line. In this case, the minimum 15-minutes used for the session will not be refunded to the client.
12. Telephone or Skype conversations in which Kathleen Parker is present must not be recorded for any purpose without Kathleen Parker’s express written consent.
Terms and Conditions: Hire a Coach
- The client (that’s you!) only engages the services of Red Tape Translation for coaching and/or translation once payment has been transacted.
- Coaching and/or translation may be provided by Kathleen Parker or by another coach instructed by her.
- The fee for coaching is 75 EUR per hour, with a minimum purchase of one hour, paid in advance. ALGI/II recipients and registered students can use coaching at a reduced price of 60 EUR per hour.
- The client uses no fewer than 15 minutes of coaching time in one scheduled session.
- The fee for coaching is non-refundable. However, clients may use coaching credit no longer needed towards other Red Tape Translation services such as written translation, Take a Translator or telephone interpreting.
- The use of Hire a Coach takes place at a mutually convenient time, organised in advance by Kathleen Parker and the client.
- Kathleen will do her best to accommodate urgent requests but cannot guarantee round the clock or immediate availability to coach a client. Coachings do not take place on weekends, public holidays, or outside the hours of 8am and 6pm on weekdays unless agreed upon in advance.
- If a client cannot be reached at the agreed time for the coaching, Kathleen will keep herself available by phone or Skype for 15 minutes. If the client does not make contact within 15 minutes, Kathleen will deduct 15 minutes of time from the client’s prepaid hour and the client can then contact her to reschedule an appointment to use up any remaining minutes.
- Kathleen Parker only offers general information on topics related to German bureaucracy and life in Germany. Kathleen Parker does not offer legal advice, tax advice, insurance advice or any other sort of advisory service governed by § 2 Abs. 1 RDG (Rechtsdienstleistungsgesetz). Kathleen Parker therefore accepts no liability for the outcome of client appointments with government authorities or for the further progress (or lack thereof) of a client’s case.
- Telephone, in-person or Skype conversations in which Kathleen Parker is present must not be recorded for any purpose without Kathleen Parker’s express written consent.
Written Translation – Terms of Service
- The client (that’s you!) only engages the services of Red Tape Translation for written translation once payment has been transacted.
- Translation may be completed by Kathleen Parker or by a translator instructed by her.
- Translations requiring certification will be completed by a qualified, court-sworn translator.
- Documents sent to Red Tape Translation for quote may only be viewed by Kathleen Parker, the translator performing the translation (if not Kathleen Parker) or a translator engaged to proofread the translation, and any employee of Kathleen Parker’s that may be responsible for part or all of its administration.
- Work commences only once payment has been received in full, unless otherwise agreed.
- Electronic copies of translations or their source documents may be stored on computer or cloud systems by Kathleen Parker or another translator. These documents can be deleted upon request once payment has been received and the client has acknowledged receipt of the translation. This means, however, that if a client requests a copy of a previous translation at a later date, the translation must be completed from scratch and paid for accordingly.